This website contains affiliate links and we may be compensated for referrals.
We may receive a referral fee for recommending some of the products, apps or services listed on this website.
If you’re a part of the growing gig economy, you are likely aware of the issues surrounding underpay after deducting expenses and taxes. The rideshare & delivery industry has become a booming business, however according to reports, drivers are not making as much as they should be. After deducting expenses and taxes, many drivers reportedly earn minimum wage or less per hour.
This issue has inspired third-party apps to develop unique tools to help drivers improve their experience, and some really stand out.
One of our favorite tools we’ve come across is the Pittsburgh-based app, Gridwise. Created in 2016, Gridwise is a groundbreaking app that claims to be helping thousands of rideshare and delivery drivers optimize their services and increase their earnings. It is essentially an all-inclusive rideshare and delivery assistant.
Gridwise claims you can use the app to ‘find more rides in less time, save thousands a year in taxes, and boost your earnings by 39%.’ With an average driver rating of 4.95 stars, the app is definitely receiving positive feedback amongst the gig-worker community, so we wanted to try it out for ourselves.
We’ll take an in-depth look at the features that help you accomplish all Gridwise promises below.
Table of Contents
How Does It Work?
Gridwise is a smartphone app that streamlines the business needs of rideshare drivers into one place. If you’re a rideshare or delivery driver, you may be familiar with the headache of the more administrative needs of an independent contractor. Tracking progress, compiling tax reports, and strategically planning your work day are all necessary components of the job, but it can be difficult and time-consuming to do entirely on your own.
This app really seems to check all those boxes and streamline those administrative needs into one place, so you can save time and do more optimized driving, ultimately increasing your earnings. Not only does it help with the business administration needs of drivers such as preparing tax reports, tracking mileage and performance, and comparing earnings across different services and against other drivers, but it also optimizes drivers’ abilities to increase their earnings across different rideshare and delivery services.
We find this tool especially helpful for drivers working for several different services at once – say Uber, Lyft, Postmates and Instacart. Gridwise helps organize all of your rideshare & delivery data into one app, so you don’t have to do it manually.
A really stand-out feature of Gridwise is its real-time airport data. Gridwise allows drivers to get up-to-the-minute flight information from nearby airports, including flight sizes, arrival times and delays. The app also shows how many passengers are arriving and departing the airport throughout the day, sending custom alerts when the airport is busy or there are significant delays.
These tools can really help you avoid wasting time in long lines at the airport, which many of you drivers in major cities know is a time-wasting headache. The app’s airport tracker features enable you to check queue length from anywhere so you can plan ahead with extended real-time passenger data.
Real-Time Rider Demand Reports
In addition to airport updates, Gridwise will send unique alerts about local traffic, weather, events letting out, and other nearby prime driving opportunities. This is especially helpful for increasing your earnings, since you can easily be where the demand is, without any extra work. You can set up custom alerts as well.
The in-app call features help you keep track of events going on in your city, complete with relevant data, including how big they are and when they end. You can also set up Gridwise to send you push notifications for specific events, which is really helpful for busy drivers, ensuring you never miss an opportunity.
Unique Tracking Features
As for strategically planning your driving routes and ultimately increasing your earnings, Gridwise has developed some unique tracking features that we find really helpful for drivers, both new and seasoned alike.
- Automatically track your mileage and performance. This allows you to monitor your earnings and identify patterns of high-demand surges. We found this particularly helpful for reviewing places to be or places to avoid at certain times of day, so you don’t waste anytime and are only picking up the most profitable rides.
- Compare your performance to other drivers in the area. In addition to comparing your own performance, you can compare your performance to other drivers in the area, ensuring you are taking advantage of business opportunities. You can see how you match up against other local drivers and take note of best practices. This is helpful for new drivers who are looking to take their earnings to the next level.
- Prepare detailed tax reports and calculate your tax deduction. This feature is a huge help for any driver! We’ve also heard stories about companies record’s not matching those of the drivers’, so this is a great way to keep track of everything to make sure you are earning and saving as much as you should. Also, come tax season, this is a huge relief!
- Compare your earnings across different rideshare and delivery services. Gridwise has some great features for drivers working through several different services. The app allows you to compare your earnings across different rideshare and delivery services, so you can see where most profits are being made. So for example, if you drive for Uber, Lyft and Postmates, then you can compare your earnings across all of these services, within the same app.
- Use a unique app switcher tool. This plug-in tool for Android helps drivers easily switch between different rideshare and delivery apps, from anywhere on your phone. This allows you to access all of your rideshare/delivery apps on one floating toolbar.
Free Version vs Gridwise Plus
The app offers a free basic service, making it accessible to all drivers free of charge. The free basic plan is great, providing you with most of the features outlined above.
There is also a paid premium membership (use this link for a free trial), allowing drivers to invest in enhanced features, including 24-hour airport information, custom airport alerts, and other premium features that are coming to the app soon. This goes for $8.33 per month — but if you think about it, that pays for itself in just one more ride per month, which we think Gridwise will help you achieve. Gridwise Plus is also 100% tax-deductible, so it’s a great way to get more out of Gridwise as well as your rides.
Start Earning & Saving with Gridwise
Gridwise is currently available in the following cities: Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa, and Washington, D.C.
If you don’t see your city on this list, keep checking as they are always adding new cities to the list.
We tried it for one week and immediately noticed an increase in earnings. It really seems to be a handy tool for any rideshare or delivery driver – an innovative app that will save you time and increase earnings. If you want to try it out, you can head to this link to try Gridwise for free today.
We may receive a referral fee for recommending some of the products, apps or services listed on this website. This article is for informational purposes only.
Allison has a B.A. in Strategic Communications with focus in Public Relations. She is an experienced content writer and teaches yoga.